Thursday, August 18, 2005

A day off and time to write

Update, work is going well. For the most part, it's not a bad job and it is low key. We have 3 people we take out into the community, mostly go to parks or shopping or whatever. The people we take out are fun, but have been sick the past few eeks off and on, so attendance has varied. My kids don't like me being gone during the morning, and I don't like it either. I feel like they just spend the time sitting around waiting for me to get home. I wish we could make it on one income. I think when school starts it will be better.

We went on a boy scout camp out last weekend, to Olallie lake http://members.aol.com/besthikes/olallie.html
That's up in the hills, Mt Hood Wilderness area. It was warm, weather was nice, cold at night up at that elevation (app. 5000ft) but not that cold. The sky was clear and the stars were beautiful. We even saw some of the meteor shower fireworks, not too much because we couldn't stay up too late.

The kids went on a hike to a lake for fishing. Hubby and I were planning to go with them, but got behind. I was ready and said I would try to catch up, they were a 1/2 mile or so ahead of me. Huby still was getting gear. He reminded me to take the radio so that I could stay in contact with someone,w hich I did. I got to the first lake 1/2 half mile away, but the group had gotten even farther ahead. I tried to call my husband to let him know that, and the radio was dead.

Here I was, walking along this beautiful lake (I'll put up pics when I get them off the camera), totally alone. I'm thinking (of course) this is bear country, where is the nearest biggest stick? The huckleberries were in full season, the lake was clear, as many mountain lakes here are. I think it is the cold water and lack of growth of algae and stuff, but you can see right to the bottom. There were rocks and boulder strewn around like lawn furniture. There was not another soul to be heard.

I got to the sign for hte next lake and realized there were 3 other lakes, not one that one could go to. Since I didn't know which lake they went to, I had a problem. Les was no where to be found, I even tried half heartedley calling for him a few time, in case he was in shouting distance, he wasn't. I decided, just liek mom taught me, to stay put. I did however decide, if I was going to stay put I was going to fish. I bumbled over loose rocks at the far end of the lake to a point, where I couldn ot only fish but be visible to anyone walking along the edge of the lake. No sooner had I gotten there than hubby showed up and saved me from certain, uh, lonliness? I remember that as I waited, I just felt alone, like I was the only person therefor the moment. Kind of nice, kind of odd. It was so quiet.

We decided to go on the the next closest lake assuming the group had goen on there, another mile along. I thought it was another 1/2 mile, not realizing the sign had said 1 1/2 mile to fish lake. The hike so far had been slight uphill followed by a steep descent to the first lake and I was not looking foreward to going back up that hill. We went down more hill and got to an overlook and our first view of the second lake. We were looking off a cliff at a beautiful lake way, way, way down at he bottom, 3-400 feet down. Maybe more, I don't know. It was a long way down. I loked at him and he looked at me and waved to the stick figures down at the bottom. He got out his radio and called them, yes that was our group. And, no we were not going to try to get there, mostly because if we did, they would need to airlift me back out again. I won't have that. So hubby and I left for the first lake and fished for a while, caught nothing, then went on back to camp. Boy were my feet tired.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home