Wednesday, August 31, 2005

A new day

I am saddened to hear the reports of the devestation in N.O., literally a basin, filled with water which is now filled with dead bodies and contaminants that will sit until it can be cleaned up. It really is a third world kind of scene. You would think that in this day and age of technology, a city such as this, perched on the gulf, below sea level, would have already had some kind of system in place to deal with the eventuality of storms, hurricanes, flooding and the like, even on the scale of Katrina. You hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

I hope that the clean up goes well. I am surprised to hear the amount of fondness so many people have for the city. I had always thought is was a bit of a back water bayou slum, I didn't know it was so well loved. I kind of thought it's only claim to fame was the yearly bacchanalia of Mardi Gras, which is not resounding endorsement in my mind. But it is apperantly well loved. My apologies, I didn't know. I wonder why I got the impression it was a dirty, crime ridden, kind of skanky, if a city can be skanky. It must be TV and perhaps just personal bias, or ignorance. Sometimes west coasters can be short sighted, if they are not well travelled. We have a nice place here and sometimes don't venture far, because it is a nice place, or we tend to develop myopia, because, well, it's just so darn nice here.

My thoughts and good wishes are with the people who are displaced, and my hope is that they will be able to rebuild better than before.

I also am amazed at the incredible power of the world around us. It makes me think we are a bit arrogant at times, as creatures go. We build near the ocean and are angry when our houses and yards wash away. We build on flood plains and are insistent that someone must fix the problem that occurs when our holding flood. We build on hillsides and weep when the entire hillside slides away. It begs the question, what did you expect? Living near a forest in a dry climate may mean that ones house may burn. To expect otherwise is foolish. It doesn't lessen the tragedy when people die, but it doesn't seem surprising. Sometimes I just don't get it.

I guess that seems uncompassionate, I don't know. I guess the thing about blogging is, it is a chance to speak your mind. This is what is going on in my mind. I can't apologize for what is on my mind, I could not speak it, but I really don't understand. If I lived in the midwest and a tornado ravaged my city, I would be hurting, but I would not be surprised. I guess my feeling is just this, when you live in an area where natural disasters tend to happen, you expect them to come with the territory. You plan for it, and when it happens, you pick up your things and start over. Natural events happen, and we can't stop it. We can't even build things that can withstand it. All we can do is run. I don't think anyone deserves to be hit by a natural disaster, or that they are at fault. I do think on ehas to be aware of the risks and be prepared.

1 Comments:

Blogger madmom said...

Thank you Jay, my husband also explained that it is a lovely city, he went there while int he military, found some areas not so great, but a friend showed him some other ares, which he said were beautiful, not to mention the historic value. Not that any of the cosmetic stuff matters when people are dying or dead. What a horror. My prayers are with all the people who are suffering or lost.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 9:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home