Wednesday, January 17, 2007

reprint of oregonian article

Official urged to resign over special-ed remarks
Multnomah ESD - Ron Chinn apologizes for his description of students
Wednesday, January 17, 2007
KIMBERLY MELTON The Oregonian
The Oregonian
The Multnomah Education Service District's superintendent, department directors and one board member called for board member Ron Chinn's resignation Tuesday night in response to his comments about special education students.

"We have heard some strong comments from the public, parents and staff," Superintendent Ed Schmitt said. "I would ask you to think hard about a noble course of action and what you should do next for the good of the agency -- step down and walk away."

The board approved, 5-0, a resolution censuring Chinn for referring to special education students as "slabs -- slow, low and belows" during a December meeting. Board member Geri Washington was absent, and Chinn abstained.

Before the resolution was approved, Chinn apologized for his comments.

"I made a terrible, terrible mistake," he said. "I was ill. I didn't understand. . . . I was a special education student myself. I know what it is like to feel that way."

The district received more than 30 e-mails, letters and phone calls Tuesday, many asking Chinn to resign. Chinn said Tuesday night he would consider it.

He also issued an apology in an interview earlier Tuesday.

"I know it now to be an error," he said in the interview. "In no way did I intend to be that way. . . . I'm very sorry. It will never happen again."

Chinn has been on the service district board since 1997 and said he has always been committed to improving the experience of special needs students.

"My first and foremost efforts have been to ensure that the children of Multnomah County get the education they need no matter their circumstances," he said. "The important work that we do there has been derailed over a mistake I made. I am very regretful."

Chinn, who represents Southwest/Southeast Portland, said he has not decided whether he will run for re-election in May.

Kimberly Melton: 503-294-5938, kimmelton@news.oregonian.com



©2007 The Oregonian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home