Thursday, September 21, 2006

Trick questions

I remember my senior year in high school, I was in AP English and had a teacher whose name I cannot remember right now. It started with S, like stiles or strickland. She hated me. I don't really know where that came from, who knows about those things? But her dislike was quite undisquised. I wonder if she thought she was hiding it well? It may have been that I had a boyfriend who rode a motorcycle, she commented on that, really none of her business in my mind, It could have been my friend Maggie, a very precocious young lady, street smart, from the south side of Chicago. Not really a smart mouth but she was smarter than most adults I knew. They hate that. I can see that now as an adult myself. The sheer terror you feel looking into the eyes of a teenager who has all the knowledge in the world and no real life experience to hang it on. Maggie was great. Mrs S. thought, I think, that we were just trouble. At the yearly field trip to Ashland for the Shakespearean Festival we were roomed together along with our cohort Angie. Angie was an angel faced beauty, and she could charm anyone. Mrs S loved her, she could do no wrong. Everyone loved Angie, you couldn't help yourself. Mrs S didn't know Angie was doing drugs, and partying like crazy. She looked too innocent to be any trouble. While I was trying to sleep Ang and Mag were talking and giggling, Mrs S comes storming to the door because of the noise. I got up to answer it and she yelled at me, blamed me and Mag totally, would not believe I had nothing to do with the noise. She even called my mom to tell her I was misbehaving. What a witch. The thing I remember her doing which most made me mad was during a class room discussion. She presented a situation and wanted to discuss our views on it. The case was some protestor in China, I think, who set himself on fire as his protest. A reporter, rather than trying to save his life, filmed the protest. We heard a range of views, and, thinking this was an actual discussion and that we were supposed to actually present different views, I decided to play the other side and point out that if the man wanted to set himself on fire, he was free to do so, and no one was obligated to stop him. She turned on me like a cobra, hissing and spitting, how dare I hold such a view, what horrible kind of person was I to even think such a thing? I think I said something to the effect of, why did you ask for our views if you didn't really want them? Funny thing is, I still feel kind of the same. I don't know what I would do if I actually were in that situation, but I do think we are free. I don't think we are free to strap bombs to our bodies and blow others up, and I think that abortion kills a living person, that is different. But what we do to ourselves is out business and our right. I was most hurt by the fact that she didn't even know me and she just made a decision to not like me based on some superficial evidence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home