Sunday, February 27, 2005

Followup, anger chair

I think back on my first or second posting I wrote about a woman who, per her therapist's suggestion, was carrying around a chair as a way of becoming "aware of how much anger she was carrying", as a result of childhood trauma. One key point in her description of her anger was that she was completely justified in being angry. The counselor was really wise to give her the suggestion of carrying around an actual chair, it's way too easy to think our hurts and emotions don't really affect us, because we can't always see them or feel them.

She carried the chair (decorated with anger, mad, all that she was feeling) for 5 weeks, she attracted a lot of attention and found that many people opened up to her about themselves, which was a blessing she did not expect. Making her anger visible and vulnerable helped give others permission to talk about their own stuff. She found that the chair didn't get heavier, it got lighter. She realized that she was an adult with new ways of coping and began to enjoy life, as an artist began enjoying her work.

She found the moment to put the chair down after speaking with a group of kids at a Lutheran church she was aked to visit, to speak about anger. The kids all wrote down things they were angry about and ripped up the papers, placing them in a basket on the chair. She says she is not a church goer, but she "had a stong feeling, an intuitive voice" that told her to leave her chair there. She says she felt she had given her anger to God and was able to walk away.

I am glad to read the follow up to this, it's good to tie up loose ends. I am so glad she found healing in that process.

Here's my take. I think it is amazing (although not suprising) that her journey led her to God. Even if she doesn't end up as a "Christian" because of it. That is probably some kind of heresy to some folks. I know that in my life, God has been most evident in the world, the outside, not in the church. He's there too, but where he is most present, in the most immediate, intimate sense, in in our life, is in the daily life and struggles, along the highways and byways. It's where he meets us, where we are, and although it may lead into a church eventually, we must know that he is everywhere, not contained within the comfortable box we'd like him to be.

Perhaps God would have wanted to this lady to be affected in such a way that she was driven to seek him, but the important part is that she was healed. Even if she does not recognize it in the conventional religious sense, she received salvation in the process. Perhaps that is the start of a wider healing she will see in a spiritual sense but in the end, she was healed, her ability to recogize or comprehend from whence it came does not lessen her healing.

I have felt for a long time, because of my personal experiences, that God is and has been breaking out of the confines of the Church. We have striven to keep him safely locked away, controlled and defined by how we think he ought to be, but that is not his way. He is and will always be the wind that we cannot catch, control or make to perform. He appears where we are embarassed to be, and touches those we won't touch. He steps in where we refuse to go and makes broken things whole. When we meet him, we meet him in the gutters and alley ways in our lives, either spiritual or physical and sometimes both. It's in that place that he reaches out and holds our hand, raises us up from the weight of the burdens we have allowed to crush us, or cripple us, and he says, right here and right now, put these things down.

That's where we need to look for him and where we will find him. When we go places we don't want to go and see people we don't want to see, we are in the perfect position to see him. It was this lady's willingness to tote around a silly marked up chair for FIVE weeks, to business meetings, buses, stores, where ever she went that put her in a position to hear God's voice. The question is how do I find the courage in my own life to be that brave?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't say I've ever thought of God as only in the Church. In fact, to me, many so called Christians aren't very Christian in life, because they leave God in Church. They think of him one day a week and then only for a short period of time.

I dunno, again, you know me, you know a bit of my past - but I guess I was just never brought up to think of God as only in the Church; maybe it's part of what they drill into Catholics. To me, the church part of God and the week is like a safe haven. I usually feel like when I'm there, I'm safe. Safe from all the crap I deal with in the outside world, it is His house and I can just let it all go. My being there is my time to just think about him (which life tends to keep me too busy to do, too much of the time); and my way of saying that I do know that you are there and I do owe you this minimal amount of respect to take this pathetically small amount of time out of my life (that you gave me) and use it to honor only You.

But (as you know) I'm a Catholic and we are a bit weird. I'm so happy that I'm weird.

Sunday, February 27, 2005 10:39:00 PM  
Blogger madmom said...

You know MTA, I made no mention of denominational differences because it is not germain to my point. I've met people who compartmentalize God in their lives, in all flavors. People who believe that there is only one way to talk to God and only one place where it is fitting to meet him. It has nothing to do with your Catholicity or my Prostestanticity whatsoever. You are a Christian, I would expect God to be a part of your life. What amazes me is people who are not Christian encounter God in a direct, intimate way. He reaches into their lives even when they aren't looking for him. He is present in a powerful way in the most out of the way places. It just speaks to me about his nature, that even when we aren't looking for him he is looking for us, speaking to us and healing us. What gets me about this story is that as a non Christian, her journey still led her to God, and I believe, that true healing always comes from him. It can happen anywhere, to anyone.

Sunday, February 27, 2005 11:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True, true - I heard the term a few years ago, 'Jack Mormon' - obviously a reference to a certain type of mormon, it was an unknown term to me, I found out that it's a mormon who only attends church occasionally (maybe twice a year or a few times more than that) and one who one might call "Mormon in name only". I personally think there are all sorts of people in all the various denominations that would fit that description. We Catholics call them "Catholic Two-timers", meaning they only come to church on Christmas and Easter.

Some who go weekly do not understand (or maybe they don't want to) take God with them in their daily lives. Peace my dear and may God go with you (I know you, and I know he already does).

MtAA

Monday, February 28, 2005 11:33:00 AM  
Blogger madmom said...

Yes, there are definitely nominal Christians, those in name only, there are also people who attend church regularly, but who for various reasons would like to see God kept safely in that corner of their life, behind what I like to call a wall of stained glass. The idea that what God has to offer is more than songs sung and prayers read one day a week is very inconvenient. To think that one might encounter him at work or on the street, at ones own house is foolish and scandalous. It is very sweet to see his hands at work in the most mundane of places. Some would like to keep him at a comfortable distance, to think that he really is present, all the time, might make a few people squirm. Noone wants their dirty laundry aired, what touches me about God is that he knows all our "stuff" and loves us anyway. Even when we don't know him.
Thanks! Hope all is well with you and yours, tough week ahead, I guess. If we can help let us know.

Monday, February 28, 2005 1:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home