Wednesday, October 11, 2006

And on the medical front....

I have been worked up for sleep apnea, and found that I do indeed have it. I get to go back in once more today in order to be fitted for a CPAP machine which will help me breathe at night. I notice the apnea, I wake up all the time from snoring and I often feel short of breath. I also wake up feeling as if I have not even slept, like I could go for another 8 hours. Very frustrating. Even more frustrating is that my Dr and I discussed this in Oct of last year, and the referral was made then. We might have actually made the referral in March, but either way, it has taken a looooong time to get er dun. I had to go in for 2 sleep studies, wearing 22, count them, 22 different electrodes and wires connected to me, a nasal cannula stuck up my nose and the last time, a face mask. And yet I slept, go figure. You would think wearing a plastic face mask would make it harder to sleep, but I can tell you, once you get used to it being there, which took maybe 20 minutes, I got the best sleep I have had in years, and I woke up feeling great. I had energy, and stamina. I rarely havethose things any more, I feel so old and slow. I reallt felt good, and that was only one night. Then they tell me, 4-6 weeks before you can get your machine for home. AHHHHHWWWWW fudge. That is so mean. GIve me one good sleep and then say, sorry, no more for a month or two. So I am happy that I will go in today and get my very own sweet dreams machine.

Oh, and get this, I also have restless leg syndrome, which I did not know about, but I guess can cause problems also with sleep deprivation. The drug the Dr ordered is called Mirapex, and it is primarily used for treating Parkinsons. It has a host of side effects, not limited to causing compulsive behavior, hallucinations, akathisia, narcolepsy like symptoms, hypotension and fainting, nausea, constipation, insomnia (remember, I am taking this to help me sleep better), and lastly, decreased appetite and weight loss (Yay! One I can live with!). I wonder if the disease is better than the cure??

2 Comments:

Blogger PCDoc said...

Well Darlin, at least it doesn't cause explosive scrotum syndrome, or perhaps even projectile farting....

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 5:34:00 PM  
Blogger madmom said...

And for that, I am eternally grateful

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 5:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home