Thursday, March 17, 2005

Grrrrr

Well, now I get to rant a bit about a big peeve. My daughter is in 6th grade. This is the year they do outdoor school. They've been touting it all year and pushing fundraisers on the kids all year.
I've spent 40-5o dollars so far on candy, pepperoni and other assorted junk, which I definitely do NOT need.

Come to find out now, at her parent teacher conferences, that in order to attend outdoor school, she has to meet several behavioral goals, one of which is to get at least 3 "gold slips" (what they get when all work is turned in on time for the week), before the 1st week in May.

Now this may not sound like much for most kids but my daughter is struggling mightily and has done so all through school. She has not received a gold slip all year long. They don't tell you this until 2 months before the event. IMHO, outdoor school (especially since we are paying out of pocket for it, to the tune of 110 bucks) ought to be a part of their experience, or not. It is either worthwhile enough for all to participate or it isn't. It's not a reward.

To make matters even worse, when I inquired about the amunt of money I had already spent toward outdoor school in the form of fundraisers, I was told since the money was earmarked for outdoor school, it had to be spent for outdoor school, we would not see it again even if my kid didn't go. It would be spread out among all the kids to help offset the cost for those who do go. If I had just paid money toward that purpose directly, I would have gotten it back.

SO... I spent 40+ bucks of which maybe 50 cents on the dollar went toward outdoor school, to pay for someone elses kid to go and my kid won't benefit at all. I guess this makes sense to someone, but it sure doesn't to me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Patty-Jo said...

What a nasty trick to play on you! Your poor little girl. She must be so disappointed. I hate the way the schoools and their idiotic policies destroy our children's self esteem! It's no wonder so many kids just stop trying all together. What's the point?
I'll keep you in my prayers.

Monday, March 21, 2005 7:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home